- Celebrated 93 years of the Power of the Vote with a display at Montrose Library.
- Assisted with online voter registration on National Voter Registration Day at Colorado Mesa University, Montrose Campus.
- Hosted Montrose County and Delta County School Board Candidate forums.
- Held a state ballot issues forum on Proposition AA and Amendment 66.
- Held a City of Montrose ballot issues forum on measures A, B, and C.
- Assisted eligible Montrose High School students with online voter registration as part of the Western Slope Youth Voting Initiative.
- Karen Connor was again in charge of the Vote411 website for the Colorado State League.
- Hosted "Connect for Health Colorado---are you ready for October 1, 2013 and January 1, 2014?" dealing with provisions of the Affordable Care Act at Montrose Memorial Hospital with Linda Gann, Western Slope Outreach Coordinator, guest speaker.
- Held the second "Making Democracy Work Award" in Montrose County and the first "Making Democracy Work Award in Delta County, honoring and giving recognition to local community leaders, Carol McDermott (Montrose County) and Pam Bliss (Delta County)
- Hosted "Immigration Reform in Colorado---effects of new laws" featuring John Harold of Tuxedo Corn, Rick Taggart of Colorado Mesa University, and Karen Sherman-Perez of the Colorado Immigrant Rights Coalition as guest speakers.
- Hosted "Telling it straight in a world that spins - responsible journalism in the age of P.R." featuring the co-editors of Montrose High School's Chieftan newspaper, Abby Padilla and Kaylynn Miller, Marta Tarbell, Publisher, and Gus Jarvis, Editor, of Watch Newspapers, and Justin Joiner, Managing Editor of the Montrose Daily Press.
- Hosted Part I of "Our Land, Our Water, Our Food, Our Future...they are in our hands" featuring guest speaker John Ikerd, Professor Emeritus of Agricultural Economics at the University of Missouri, as part of our participation in the LWVUS Agriculture Update study.
- Hosted Part II of the above featuring as guest speakers Corey Hicks, Executive Director, and Laurie Neilson, Senior Farm Loan Officer, of the Farm Service Agency and Trent Hollister, 4-H Extension Agent.
- Held "members only" meeting for the purpose of discussing the consensus questions provided by the LWVUS for the Ag Update study to determine if we could reach consensus on any/all of them.
- Tammy Theis and Nancy Ball represented the Montrose League at League of Women Voters Colorado League Day in Denver, and Karen Connor attended as a LWVCO state board member.
- Tammy Theis and Kathryn Carson will represent the Montrose League at LWVCO Council to be held in Grand Junction; Nancy Ball and Sheryl Clapton will attend as observers; and Karen Connor will attend as a member of the state board.
- Co-sponsored the 8-week Great Decisions program on international issues with the Montrose Library and Barb Krebs served as moderator.
- Participated in the City of Montrose Youth Council Teen Opportunity Expo to familiarize the students with the local League and its activities and inform them how to become involved.
- Celebrated 2014 Law Day and its theme "American Democracy and the Rule of Law: Why Every Vote Matters" with an exhibit at the Montrose Library.
- Karen Connor acted as moderator at the two D.M.E.A. board candidate forums held in Cedaredge and Montrose, May
THE 2013-2014 BOARD
- Recipient of 2013 LWVCO grant to help fund "Making Democracy Work Award" events in Montrose and Delta counties
- Some area businesses and the Montrose Mirror provided in-kind donations.
- Several local residents gave money to support our local activities.
- Red Barn Restaurant community night.
Executive Board Elected At Annual Meeting
- President - Karen Connor
- Treasurer - Kathryn Carson
- Secretary - Joan Eliot
Non-Elected Board Members
- Nancy Ball - Voter Newsletter Editor
- Susan Chandler-Reed - Web Master
- Peggy Baxter & Martha Grewal - Delta County Representatives
- Rod Britten - Voter Service
- Rosemary Murphy - At Large
- Caitlin Switzer - Fund Raising
- Barb Krebs - At Large
- Studied and participated in a national (League of Women Voters of the United States) consensus
to form a position on immigration
- Supported and recommended action on the formation of universal health care for the state of
- Co-sponsored FORU's (Friends of the River Uncompahgre) forum, "What's In Your River?"
- Advocated for the purchase of Burial Tree Ranch and Flying Pig Ranch by
the Colorado State Parks Department
and Division of Wildlife
- Co-sponsored Great Decisions with the Montrose
Regional Library, a series of public discussions on
- Held public meetings on insuring library patrons'
access to information and the effects of
severance tax issues on Montrose county
- Registered Montrose County Voters
- Held a Forum for Candidates for the Montrose City
Additionally, our members serve as active members of numerous community civic groups.